Animal manure has antiseptic and mild anti-fungal properties. Healthy animals and those that are feed solely with grasses and or fodders are said to be a good source of manure for disease control.
Chicken manure and neem cake
(Vijayalakshmi, et.al, 1998); pp. 30-31)
- Mix 40 kg of chicken manure and 25 kg of neem cake
- Top dress to rice field 25-30 days after transplanting
(Sridhar, et. al, 2002; p. 39)
- Add 1 kg of dried cowdung into 10 liters of water.
- Filter the solution.
- Add another 5 liters of water to the extract.
- Filter it again.
- Put in water can or sprinkler and apply the solution on plants early in the morning.
Apply extract with animal manures at least 60 days prior to harvest.
Wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly before use.
Standard procedures for the preparation and application of homemade extracts
- Use utensils for the extract preparation that are not use for your food preparation and for drinking and cooking water containers. Clean properly all the utensils every time after using them.
- Do not have a direct contact with the crude extract while in the process of the preparation and during the application.
- Make sure that you place the extract out of reach of children and house pets while leaving it overnight.
- Harvest all the mature and
ripe fruits before extract application.
- Always test the extract formulation on a few infected plants first before going into large scale spraying. When adding soap as an emulsifier, use a potash-based one.
- Wear protective clothing while applying the extract.
- Wash your hands after handling the extract.