Milk diluted in water is used as fungicide by some gardeners because of its active substances and microorganisms that prevent pathogen-causing-disease to multiply. Sour milk and goat's milk are found to encourage the growth of stronger protective coatings on crucifers.
How to prepare
Mix œ liter of milk to 4.5 liters of water (Milk and water ratio is 1 part milk to 9 parts water). Spray at weekly interval as a preventive control measure.
- Red spider mites
- Mosaic virus
- and other fungal diseases
Standard procedures for the preparation and
application of homemade extracts
- Use utensils for the extract preparation that are not use for your food preparation and for drinking and cooking water containers. Clean properly all the utensils every time after using them.
- Do not have a direct contact with the crude extract while in the process of the preparation and during the application.
- Make sure that you place the extract out of reach of children and house pets while leaving it overnight.
- Harvest all the mature and ripe fruits before extract application.
- Always test the extract formulation on a few infected plants first before going into large scale spraying. When adding soap as an emulsifier, use a potash-based one.
- Wear protective clothing while applying the extract.
- Wash your hands after handling the extract.