Fruit fly traps
Traps with baits are used to monitor and to lessen the population density of fruit flies infesting the fruits.
Fruit fly plastic bottle trap
1-liter plastic bottle
6 mm iron rod
- Heat the iron rod.
- Make holes on the neck using the heated iron rod.
- Make a hole on the lid, big enough for the string or wire to pass through.
- Insert a string or wire at the lid's hole.
- Place the bait inside the bottle.
- Hung the trap in a shady part of the tree just above the lower leaves.
- Replace the bait at least 2 times in a week. Fresh bait is often attractive to the flies.
Fruit fly baits
Ripe banana peel cut into small pieces and mixed with sugar, flour, and water (Mulcrone, 1998).
Mixture of 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 tbsp ammonia, œ cup sugar, and 2 liters water (Mulcrone, 1998).
Mixture of 1 cup vinegar, 2 cups water, and 1 tbsp honey (ECHO, 2003).
Mixture of sugar, soya sauce, and ammonia (Better Homes and Gardens, 2004).