Light trap is a device used at night in the field to collect moths and other flying insects such as:
- Stem borers
How to make a light trap?
- Bamboo or wooden poles
- String or rope
- Oil/kerosene lamp or electric bulb
- Shallow basin with water or jute sack
- Install the light trap near or within the field where you want to trap the flying insects.
- Secure the poles firmly on the ground.
- Mount the lamp or the bulb on the frame, five meters from the ground. When using electric bulb, make sure that the bulb and wiring are not in contact with water to avoid electrocution.
- Place the shallow basin with soapy water or the jute sack underneath the light.
- Put the light trap from early evening until early morning.
- Collect the trapped insects daily and dispose them properly.